Safety and Prevention Tips
HSI Victim Notification Program
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), is committed to protecting the public and ensuring that the rights of victims are carefully observed. HSI administers the Victim Notification Program which allows eligible victims and witnesses to obtain reliable and timely information regarding a criminal alien's release from custody. However, victims and witnesses are required to register with HSI/ICE in order to receive notification of a criminal alien's release. Listed below is a universal locator for the HSI Victim Notification Program, which has a number of valuable victim services programs provided by ICE.
Vehicle Safety Tips
Each year, more than $1 billion in personal items and vehicle accessories are estimated to be stolen from vehicles in more than 2 million vehicle break-ins nationwide. The Baroda-Lake Township Police Department offers the following tips to help reduce the chances of your vehicle being broken into:
- Don't leave ANY items in plain sight
- ALWAYS LOCK your doors and close your windows and sunroofs. Most vehicle break-ins happen to unlocked vehicles
- REMOVE GPS units, laptops, iPods, etc. when leaving your vehicle
- Place shopping bags or valuables in your trunk or out of sight
- If you leave your car in the driveway, take your garage door opener with you. That will help prevent the thief from getting access to your home
- Etch you driver's license number into all removable, valuable items (i.e. audio equipment, in-car DVD players, etc.)
- Don't leave your vehicle title in the vehicle; keep it at home in a safe place
- Install a vehicle alarm system
- Avoid parking in areas that hide your vehicle (i.e. between bigger vehicles, in dark/unlit areas, etc.)
- Always call 911 if you see someone acting suspiciously, looking into cars on your street, in a parking garage or lot, etc.